[Server-devel] [XSCE] ansible

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 22:30:58 EDT 2013

 Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM, <tkkang at nurturingasia.com> wrote:

> Managed to install it. Nice ansible and all the goodies for server
> management

An install note - sometimes the first runthrough of runansible fails for
me.  Not always, I think it's the vagaries of my internet and/or wifi.  I
simply runansible again (and again, if needed) until it finally finishes.

> How stable is the system? I am able to load the IIAB demo files (on a USB
> stick). It will work for a while and then crash...

Just as on the XSCE, on the DXS we've noticed stability issues on low end
1.75 units.  The 1.75's with 512MB of RAM, to be specific.  In particular,
yes, IIAB crashes the low end 1.75 if a few (as in 3) clients try to access
IIAB content at the same time.   I think folks determined it was some sort
of kernel issue.  But yeah, the system freezes up, is totally unresponsive
even on the local console, and I have to do a "hard reboot" (as in walk
over to it, press down the power button till it powers off, then power back
up). I don't try to put that "crappy 1.75" up on my public URL anymore,
I've found it to be entirely too unstable.  However, my testing cycles can
be very short and rather specific, thus sometimes I need to reflash a unit
several times a day.  For those testing cycles confined to my LAN, I mostly
use the "crappy 1.75" because it wouldn't break my heart if it broke,
unlike these units below:

*What I have found to be very stable for XSCE and DXS*

1.  The XO 1.5 (got one up right now public, uptime 9 days with the full
IIAB TB drive)

Apparently there's almost 1GB RAM
[root at schoolserver] html >free -m
Mem:           936        824        112          0         60        543

2.  The XO 1.75 HS with the "chicklet" keyboard

Looks like this thing has 840MB RAM?
-bash-4.2# free -m
Mem:           840        418        422          0         21        146

3.  The XO-4

For stability testing, I typically make the XSCE or DXS public.  During
"end of cycle" testing, I try to keep the install up public at least a
week, if not longer.  I have ejabberd users who always notice when my
server goes down.  Not only can I see downtime in my scrollback in Pidgin
or Psi or Gajim (any chat client that handles XMPP), but my users will
literally call me on my telephone to let me know if my server is down.  So
far with XSCE/DXS testing, I haven't gotten any phone calls.  Again, the
only stability issue we've run into was when I tried to run the XSCE/DXS on
the "crappy" 1.75 with IIAB.

Anna