[Server-devel] [XSCE]

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 12:58:28 EDT 2013

Hi Tony,

I'd add to Tim's comments:

Sridhar, early in the XSCE design,  made a distinction between project, and
product, which I find useful -See-
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnhU2F6EntepVXTgN8QpkME8fZVUuPjcCoMUfAVKbcc/edit--
follow the "Product vs Distribution vs Product" link.

XS0.7 was a product, whereas XSCE is attempting to be a project. By
reconceptualizing, and restructuring the install process, now with the
higher level server description language, called "ansible", we are
attempting to position the code base to be flexible, and applicable, to new
distributions, hardware, processors, needs and requirements.

As such, XSCE is not meant to be directly usable until it is married with
specific hardware, and a set of requirements. Two examples come to mind:

   1. In September, I installed an XO4  and a trimslice at two schools in
   Haiti. One with gateway function via 3G modem and Internet In A Box on an
   XO4, the other with IIAB function on a Trimslice, and a large storage
   battery, to deal with intermittent power.
   2. There is now a $100 low power quad core ARM becoming available (6
   watt 2GB memory- CubeBox ) which XSCE software stack may be adapted to.

XSCE project moved away from Centos, partially because we wanted to run on
ARM as well as i386/x86_64.

Also, we did not want dependencies on punji, kickstart, or anaconda that
would lock us into fedora, as we looked forward towards running on
debian/ubuntu, or such.

Yes, much of what we have done does not directly add value in the
classroom. But hopefully it positions our code base to be relevant in the
classroom for the next 10 years.

It's also true that we have not yet defined a product, or turnkey solution.
Be we have a growing cadre of programmers,  with skills to do that. It
appears that Activitycentral is moving in that direction with DXS.

George