[Server-devel] Feedback: Problems with XSCE

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Fri Nov 29 05:10:03 EST 2013

I think you need to be careful how you phrase that -- you just half implied
that all laptop.org hosting is going away.  There has been a fair amount of
fear that resources may suddenly disappear, and I have been concerned about
fragmentation where hosting of resources ends up all over the place.

If there is a perceived need to migrate resources then that should be made
clear, as others have already offered potential alternative hosting.  But
there needs to be coordination.

Focusing on the Deployment side, I would tend to agree with John's comments
as well.

Both Sugar and the Schoolserver have been historically focused on being
their own ecosystem.  This has never changed, yet Sugar and the XS are
often offered for use where existing DHCP, DNS, and other services already
exist.

Due to local policies, you may not be allowed to name your schoolserver
"schoolserver".  You may have to support 802.11x network authentication,
etc.  It is possible to kludge these but the solutions are not elegant.

If the Sugar and XSCE communities feel that the "enterprise"/first-world
use case is a desired scenario where Sugar, IIAB, and/or Moodle may only be
a part of a school's network instead of the primary role, then this
specifically needs to be targeted.

---
SJG