[Server-devel] The three step XSCE demo!

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Wed Nov 20 04:01:29 EST 2013

Can everybody sit back and have a tasty beverage of their choice to celebrate?

On the surface, this email might seem simple. Below the surface this
is a turning point in the project.

"Actually I'm more interested in what a good dev environment would be
in order to contribute."

This is exactly what we have been targeting for that last year. A busy
deployment support person who doesn't really can about the School
Server or its technology. He just cares about how to build on XSCE to
meet his specific deployment needs.

If, and this is a very big if, we have done a good job designing the
XSCE project and the XSCE product, Sebastian will find that it is more
effective to do his work as an plug-in-service on XSCE rather than
head off in his own.

The open source theory behind this the notion of creating a modular
and collaborative base which others use to solve their own specific
problems.

The business theory is that of Lead Users. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_user ) As an upstream, we don't have
a complete understanding of users needs and priorities. Working with
lead users, enables us to understand and meet their individual needs
while gather information to create abstract solutions which apply to
other users as well.

It looks like 0.5 is coming along nicely. There is a lot of green in
the task matrix at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/0.5/Ansible_Progress .

While there are several interesting features at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/Features for 0.6, there
is no cohesive theme to 'unite' us together as a project. I would like
to suggest that the theme for 0.6 is making XSCE as easy and desirable
as possible for lead users like Sebastian.

Much like the initial statement, "Actually I'm more interested in what
a good dev environment would be in order to contribute." which seems
simple, but is actually a tipping point for the project. Engaging lead
users seems simple, yet is rather subtle. On first glace there is:
1. Documentation about the the project and it's technologies.
2. Simple ways to install,test, and develop XSCE.
3. Simple ways to interact with the community and transfer knowledge
and technology.

More subtly, there are decisions about encapsulation. What does a new
developer need to know to get started? What complexity should be
hidden and what should be exposed to new developers.... via best
practices, APIs, and community processes.

The challenge is to create an on-ramp to engage a broader audience at
a pace which enables them to use XSCE to meet their needs while
avoiding the tendency to create a wall between 'us' them 'them.'

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
> Thanks that will be simpler. Actually I'm more interested in what a good dev
> environment would be in order to contribute.
> Do I need to make a fedora chroot?
>
> Regards,
> Sebastian
>
> El 19/11/13 09:51, Anish Mangal escribió:
>
> I tried uploading it to xsce.activitycentral.com, but I ran out of space in
> my user dir. Normally the appliance is 1.3G, but this also has 400mb of IIAB
> test dataset.
>
> I'll give it another shot in another area where there is some free space,
> and get back.
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I tried this but google drive problematic to download from as it requires
>> to download from a browser. Not adequate for 1.6gb. Let me know if I can
>> pick it up from a regular download place. Why is it so big?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sebastian
>>
>> El 17/11/13 20:48, Anish Mangal escribió:
>>
>>> Download the XSCE Virtualbox appliance from here
>>> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3eW2YPe6koIVXRVbDhSR0xXQ1U (approx 1.6 GB)

David Farning
Activity Central: http://www.activitycentral.com