[Server-devel] 12 Volt power system for School Servers.

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Thu May 30 03:24:14 EDT 2013

We have a primary school in PNG with school server driving 9 wireless access
points with PoE to cover a 200 laptop deployment with 7 classrooms

http://wikieducator.org/OLPC_PNGSDP/Kisap

Powered by 12V solar using the excellent Sundaya kits. The wiring looks
untidy, I know, but they have worked very reliably over 2-3 years. Also the
integrated batteries and proprietary DC connectors make it difficult to
misuse the power (a common cause of early demise of batteries)

http://www.sundaya.com/welcomeEN.php

The Mikrotik GrooveA range of outdoor wireless access points are really
good. They will work on 9-27V so even with 12V, you can get very long cable
runs, and you can screw in a vertical omni or your antenna of choice. We
didn't use them in the deployment above but I would do in the future.

David Leeming
Solomon Islands