[Server-devel] 12 Volt power system for School Servers.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed May 29 17:45:33 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 04:38:06PM -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Is the inverter really needed for a XO? The step-down transformer used
> on the XO puts out 13.5v but the XOs only need 11 volts to charge[1].
> Therefore I believe you could run and/or charge the XOs directly from a
> 12v source like a storage battery, perhaps though a regulator. I just
> don't want to cut the cord off of a working power supply to find
> out.

Cut the cord about 20cm from the power supply, and fit a screw
terminal, so the cord can be reassembled if needed.

Yes, the XO will safely run direct from any 12V lead-acid storage
battery.  The battery will not permit the voltage to exceed what the
XO can accept.

(It isn't technically a step-down transformer, but a switch-mode power
supply, but no matter.)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/