[Server-devel] 1TB drive of quality open content on XO/XS--won't boot

Braddock braddock at braddock.com
Sat May 11 15:58:41 EDT 2013

On 05/11/2013 12:44 PM, Holt wrote:
> Is there a way to boot a large USB hard drive attached to an XO?

Further detail on the trouble drive.

This is a 1TB Seagate Wireless Plus connected via USB.  It mounts
correctly when the XO is booted, but if it is connected when the XO is
powered on or rebooted, the XO drops to a firmware "OK" prompt.

I wonder if it could be because the first partition has a boot flag set?

# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204885504 bytes, 1953525167 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6f44561a

/dev/sda1   *        2048     8193149     4095551    7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2         8193150  1953520064   972663457+  83  Linux

Another volunteer has an external USB drive here which DOES work correctly.

Thanks,
Braddock Gaskill