[Server-devel] ds-backup broken in 12.1

Richard Smith richard at laptop.org
Wed Mar 20 20:20:31 EDT 2013

I discovered today that ds-backup.sh is broken in 12.1 and beyond.
The problem is that the 'ping' command changed to no longer being suid
root. ds-backup.sh uses ping to check if the network connection to the
schoolserver is functional.  Since ping won't run as user olpc it
always exits.

The fix is to add the use of sudo to the ping command.  I'll fix that
and get a new rpm built but for people who have 12.1 already deployed
and want to use this you will need to fix ds-backup.sh

Give that this has been broken for a long time and nobody seems to
have noticed I'm guessing there aren't very many users of ds-backup
with XO's running 12.1.

--
Richard A. Smith
One Laptop per Child