[Server-devel] My Observations and experiences with XSCE 0.2.1

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 19 18:46:21 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-19 at 14:33 -0400, Richard Smith wrote:
> I want to try and make some tweaks to the ds_backup so I need a
> working school server.
>
> I grabbed a random XO 1.75 I had with 12.1.0-21 installed and tried to
> install XSCE 0.2.1 but I was not successful in getting a working
> config.
>
> After installing xs-config-xo and runnign bootstrap-xo I received the message
> "Not an XO pleasea run 'xs-config'" So I did. xs-config: command not found.
>
> Searching for xs-config in the xs-config-xo package with rpm -ql I find that
> xs-config is not in that that package so I took a look at bootstrap-xo
> to see why it was unhappy.
>
> It was unhappy because I have a bastard machine and I have no MN
> manufacturing tag.  :)

Yea, that would cause the script to exit with a warning.

> However, looking at script I would recommnd that rather than read the
> mfg tags directly you try to source
> /usr/share/olpc-utils/olpc-utils-functions and use the facilties of
> that script.  There are functions that will let you read mfg tags in
> an XO generation independent way and functions that will let you
> determine what
> XO generation you are using.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look at what is available.

> I noticed several occurrences of error messages the debug output of
> xs-setup a message of:
>
>  /usr/bin/xs-setup-functions: line 242: [: missing ']'
>
> You may want to start using [[ ]] rather than [ ] for tests as [[ ]]
> is much more tolerant and supports several enhancements over [ ]

Nice to know thanks for the pointer.

> The rest of the installation appears to have gone ok except that
> ejabberd didn't seem to start up.  The message was
>
> "Failed RPC connection to the note ejabberd at schoolserver: nodedown"

That might be a result of bootstrap-x0 not running, we change the host
name there to be schoolserver.

> On reboot various ejabber things seems to be running so perhaps that
> was expected.

I'd think ejabberd would be running with the hostname that was
configured at install time.

> If I go to a root shell I don't get an expected # in my prompt.  The
> difference between olpc@ and root@ is hard to notice.  I'd like to see
> a # added when you are root.

That can be doable.

> Because I don't have a full deployment infra setup I ran into this
> http://sugardextrose.org/issues/2685 . Also nothing in the
> instructions indicate that when you set up a local AP for the XO lan
> you have to disable any dhcpd server that might be running on the AP.
> Obvious to me but perhaps not obvious to others and multiple dhcp
> servers can be a bitch to debug.

Think we'll need to have a general howto on setting up the whole local
lan in the future.

> Trying to register the XSCE with itself fails.  "Can't connect to the server"

Can't find schoolserver, related to the above failure to change the
hostname.

> Trying to register a client XO to the schoolsever fails as well.  The
> IP the the client received looks good. I can ping schoolserver and
> schoolserver.local and browsing the Internet works. Trying to browse
> to http://schoolserver or schoolserver.local dosen't work.  Nmaping
> the server with my laptop shows that nothing is
> running on port 80.
>
> There's nothing in /var/log/httpd but systemctrl status httpd.service
> indicates there were startup errors and looking
> in /var/log/messages I find that httpd is choking on line 9 of
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/pathagar.conf which is:

Odd that should of been disabled in the base install, which version of
xs-config is installed?

> PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
>
> rpm -q django shows its not installed so I tried yum -y install django
> but no dice.  Still won't start up.
> Ideas? I've run out of time for now to try and sort this out.

I'd just rename /etc/httpd/conf.d/pathagar.conf and retrying to restart
apache as a quick fix.

Jerry