[Server-devel] putting XSCE 0.3 on an XO-1.5 without an AP

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at mikusj.com
Sun Jun 23 19:59:39 EDT 2013

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help;  I am sharing my experiences

Performed the procedure in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition/0.3/Installing
on an "unsupported" system configuration - I did not have an AP
connected - my internet connection (eth1) was wired internet.  I needed
to pay attention to advice I saw someplace on that website: "If a
command fails, just repeat it".

The problem in my situation was with the action of the xs-setup-network
command (called internally from within xs-setup).  When the Network
Manager was stopped and restarted by xs-setup-network, it totally
deleted my wired ethernet connection, with the result that subsequent
yum package installs (including that of ejabberd) all failed for lack of
a connection.  After reestablishing the wired connection, I brute-force
overcame this fault by commenting out the xs-setup-network call within
xs-setup - then xs-setup was able to run to completion.

mikus