[Server-devel] Best XSCE strategy for us in Pacific with XO-1.5 2GB Testing XSCE 3 on XO 1.5 2GB os855

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jun 18 01:00:34 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:14:23PM -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> I just tried the devalias trick using 13.2.0 as the OS on a XO-4. On
> initial boot it drops me into dracut appearing to complain about a
> read-only filesystem while attempting resize. Any thoughts on how to
> debug this?

Sure.

Check the write protect tab on the card.

Check with another XO-4 in case the socket write protect switch is
faulty.

Boot into Linux from another boot device, such as the internal eMMC or
a Tiny Core Linux on USB drive, then check that you can mount the
external SD card for write, and write to it.

fs-update does not honour the write protect on an SD card; it is
purely an advisory write protect, and Open Firmware doesn't take this
advice ... "which is an optional feature of the SD specification." [1]

(I'm running an XO-4 as a builder with swap on external SD, and it
seems to work fine for that.)

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Card_security
"Write-protect notch"