[Server-devel] Best XSCE strategy for us in Pacific with XO-1.5 2GB Testing XSCE 3 on XO 1.5 2GB os855

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 21:20:20 EDT 2013

I ordered a 64GB SD, and have it in hand. It is formatted with exfat disk
format, apparently a Microsoft proprietary standard.  There is a driver for
exfat, but it is not shipped with the XO, so there was some truth to the
hearsay that 64GB SD cards do not work on the XO. BUT . . .

I was able to read exfat formatted "out of the box" transcend 64GB drive on
a XO1.5, with a downloaded driver, so I expect that electrical
compatibility is already established.

I think you will want it to be formatted with ext4, because the OS doesn't
run on a FAT formated drive. I should caution that I have read that SD
cards have an erase block size that makes it important to preserve the
partition location and sizing, as the disk format is being erased and
reformatted.

I do not expect that the "prep-storage.sh" script which is part of
XSCE-0.3, will correctly format a 64GB SD card. I do not know whether the
XSCE install process will properly function when it is loaded into a 64GB
SD. (I expect probably so, since I don't think the OS would know whether it
was running on the mother board or on an external SD card).

I'll experiment with my new SD card, and try to document the results with a
script that you can use to format big SD cards.

George

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM, David Leeming <david at leeming-consulting.com