[Server-devel] Attempting to upgrade XO 1.5 firmware. Says "activation lease not found"

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 18 19:57:37 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 05:15:37PM -0400, Kevin Cole wrote:
> [...]
> * I typed:
>      cd ~/Download/
>      mv 32013o1.zd.zsp.fs1.zip fs1.zip
>      cp -v fs2 /media/usb/
>      cp -v 32013o1.zd /media/usb/
>      diff fs2 /media/usb/
>      diff 32013o1.zd /media/usb/
>      sudo shutdown -h now
>
> * I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive in the XO and pressed the
>   power button while holding the X key on the gamepad.

Incorrect.  The release notes describe holding down all four keys
above the power button.

I agree with Daniel that you might have sufficiently old firmware to
require renaming the file from fs1.zip to fs.zip.  That should be your
next action.  I didn't detect the existing firmware version in this
thread, apologies if I missed it.

> * I released the X when told it to do so.
> * I received an error about NANDblaster.  (Sorry, I don't have the
> exact text of that message.)
>
> * I booted my Ubuntu laptop.
> * I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive.
> * I opened Chrome
> * I went to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware
> * I clicked on XO-1.5
> * I clicked on OLPC Firmware q3c16
> * I clicked on q3c16.rom which saved it to ~/Download/
> * I typed
>      mkdir /media/usb/boot
>      cp -v q3c16.rom /media/usb/boot

Incorrect when used in combination with the X game key below.  The page
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_firmware describes placing the
bootfw.zip file on the media, not the q3c16.rom file.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/