[Server-devel] Attempting to upgrade XO 1.5 firmware. Says "activation lease not found"

Kevin Cole dc.loco at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:15:37 EDT 2013

> It would help if you could be more specific about exactly which steps
> you are taking, and exactly you are seeing.

I thought I had given sufficient detail, but...

"On the first day of summer vacation, I went downtown to look for a
job and hung out in front of the drug store. On the the second day of
summer vacation, I went downtown to look for a job and hung out in
front of the drug store. On the third day of summer vacation, I went
downtown to look for a job and hung out in front of the drug store..."
--  Cheech & Chong (Sister Mary Elephant)

* I booted my Ubuntu laptop.
* I inserted a 1 GB USB thumb drive.
* I opened Chrome
* I went to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes
* I clicked on Release_notes/13.2.0
* I clicked on 4.3 XO-1.5
* I clicked on 32013o1.zd which saved it to ~/Download/
* I clicked on 32013o1.zd.zsp.fs1.zip which saved it to ~/Download/
* I opened a terminal window
* I typed:
     cd ~/Download/
     mv 32013o1.zd.zsp.fs1.zip fs1.zip
     cp -v fs2 /media/usb/
     cp -v 32013o1.zd /media/usb/
     diff fs2 /media/usb/
     diff 32013o1.zd /media/usb/
     sudo shutdown -h now

* I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive in the XO and pressed the
  power button while holding the X key on the gamepad.
* I released the X when told it to do so.
* I received an error about NANDblaster.  (Sorry, I don't have the
exact text of that message.)

* I booted my Ubuntu laptop.
* I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive.
* I opened Chrome
* I went to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware
* I clicked on XO-1.5
* I clicked on OLPC Firmware q3c16
* I clicked on q3c16.rom which saved it to ~/Download/
* I typed
     mkdir /media/usb/boot
     cp -v q3c16.rom /media/usb/boot
     diff q3c16.rom /media/usb/boot
     sudo shutdown -h now

* I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive in the XO and pressed the
  power button while holding the X key on the gamepad.
* I released the X when told it to do so.
* After a few minutes, I saw three icons, and a message at the top
  of the screen "Activation lease not found".

* I looked under the battery and verified that it was an XO-1.5
(though I had no doubts).

* I booted my Ubuntu laptop.
* I found an old copy of my /security/developer.sig
* I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive.
* I typed
     mkdir /media/usb/security
     cp ~/XO/security/developer.sig /media/usb/security/
     diff~/XO/security/developer.sig /media/usb/security/
     shutdown -h now

* I inserted the 1 GB USB thumb drive in the XO and pressed the
  power button while holding the X key on the gamepad.
* I released the X when told it to do so.
* After a few minutes, I saw three icons, and a message at the top of
  the screen "Activation lease not found".

* I booted the XO into Sugar
* I went to Settings
* I copied the OS and firmware details.
* I wrote to this list.