[Server-devel] XSCE Sprint

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jul 10 04:02:13 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 09:33:29AM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> The flash level needs to be handled by the firmware. I believe the
> firmware is capable of obtaining the image from a network. This is
> where the 'lock' is invoked so the trick will be to find out how to
> do this for locked XOs.

Yes, the firmware is capable of obtaining an image from wireless or
USB ethernet, but this is not a very efficient use of time.  A USB
drive easily outperforms network reflash.

To do it for locked XOs requires signing the build with your
deployment keys, and honestly we haven't tested secure network reflash
feature for a long time, so the community should test it before
recommending it.  If I recall correctly, it was not in scope for
XO-1.75 and XO-4 engineering.

(p.s. I salute the bravery of any deployment that uses locked XOs
without a deployment key injected on the laptops ... but I recommend
that this be avoided because of the numerous pitfalls ... ensure a
deployment key is injected, or unlock the laptops).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/