[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 75, Issue 3

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Wed Jul 3 05:48:11 EDT 2013

Hi,

Naturally, the primary problem is servers which have no access to the
internet. In some cases, these servers can access the internet by
expensive gsm modems. In such cases, the server has a leased ip address
via DHCP and so must initiate the communication with the 'mothership'.

Once the school server opens communication with the mothership, it can
act as any other client.

I am not sure administration, monitoring, or updating the server
remotely is either needed or desirable. The key to a server is stability
- which means don't mess with it!

The real need is updates to content not software. A very desirable
capability would be email. Another might be access to selected rss
feeds. Adding items to the local digital library would be another
possibility. Providing an ability for students to upload their Scratch
projects or the Sugar activities developed with Pippy would be exciting.
One could even imagine XO users at deployments on Support-Gang!

It would be very desirable if these capabilities could also be
accomplished by 'sneaker-net' with a usb flash drive to the (hopefully)
local internet cafe.

Unfortunately we often assume that the deployment lives in the same
environment we are used to. We have several Sugar Activities that are
meaningful only when the XO accesses the internet directly (the prime
example is the portal on the Browse Activity).

Imagine the performance available to 100 XOs surfing the internet
through your home DSL or cable modem. Imagine the cost with a contract
that has a surcharge for transfers exceeding 5MB per month.

This model of a 'mothership' is far more significant than the model of
every XO surfing online.

Tony