[Server-devel] Install python applications in a virtualenv without, system wide packages using wheel binary package format

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Dec 21 03:12:39 EST 2013

On Dec 16, 2013 9:17 PM, "Samuel Greenfeld" <samuel at greenfeld.org> wrote:

> From the end user's perspective, what virtualenv does is rewrite the
Python path & environment so a series of custom-created directories are
always tried first.  It then optionally looks at the system python path for
other modules.

> The one time I had to use virtualenv it did not solve problems with
libraries that needed to compile machine-specific code.  It might be
possible to use pip with prepackaged binaries, but the project I was using
it with did not offer the option.

> Packaging admittedly is a bit over my head.  But the more XSCE deviates
from being directly packagable in a Linux Distribution, the more work it is
going to take to maintain this path.

> I think it would be worthwhile to look at the Linux Terminal Server
Project (www.ltsp.org) and see how they packaged their system so that it
was accepted into several distributions.  The LTSP project interfaces with
a lot of components (DHCP, X Server, etc.) and has been around since 1999,
so they have experience doing the kind of tweaks XSCE also needs to make.

LTSP uses chroot to contain the OS being served. We run a lab of 32
machines on it. Quite stable and runs well.

There's also LXC, a "chroot on steroids", as stgraber puts it.
https://www.stgraber.org/2013/12/20/lxc-1-0-blog-post-series/

Sameer

migonzalvar at activitycentral.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Braddock <braddock at braddock.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > If this can be made to work it would certainly make things easier for
>> > us at Internet-in-a-Box.
>> >

>> Quick test in XO-4 using the following script, it seems it works
perfectly:

>> mkdir iiab
>> cd iiab
>> virtualenv venv
>> source venv/bin/activate
>> pip install --use-wheel --no-index
>> --find-links=http://xsce.activitycentral.com/wheelhouse/
>> 'backports.lzma>=0.0.2' 'SQLAlchemy>=0.8.2' 'markupsafe'
>> pip install Internet-in-a-Box
>> iiab-server
>> werkzeug -- 192.168.0.3 - - [16/Dec/2013 18:40:19] "GET /iiab/ HTTP/1.1"
200 -

>> I'm attaching the full log.
>>
>> I plan to do more testing. I think we could use this method for latter
>> XSCE versions.
>>
>> > Currently we have to build and distribute Fedora rpms just for XSCE,
>> > including for a couple third party packages which have binary
>> > dependencies and have proven a pain.
>> >
>> > We already maintain pipy pip packages and use them for all of our own
>> > IIAB appliance deployments.
>> >
>> > However, a virtualenv is not really meant as a distribution format and
>> > has some downsides.  You will have to install the pip on every
>> > architecture you support, and I do not believe they are relocatable so
>> > they have to be in the same absolute path, and they may have system
>> > library dependencies which won't automatically be resolved like with
RPMs.