[Server-devel] XSCE automatic login permission denied

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Aug 23 04:07:47 EDT 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 03:05:40PM +0800, Lite wrote:
> James Cameron (quozl at laptop.org) wrote:
> > 1. determine if Fedora Linux supports the adapter, and if not
> > work with the Fedora community to get support added,
>
> I found a URL of compatible wireless USB adapter list:
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-usb-wireless-compatibility-adapter-list.html
> And RTL8187 should work, right?

No, not necessarily.  RTL8187 is a chip used in many devices.  The
easiest way to test if Fedora Linux supports the adapter is to install
Fedora Linux on a PC, then insert the adapter.

That URL is many years old.  Devices have changed since.

> > 2. if Fedora does support the adapter, determine the kernel
> > configuration change between the Fedora kernel and the OLPC OS
> > kernel  that removed support,
> >
> > 3. build a new OLPC OS kernel, with this configuration change
> > reversed,  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Kernel_Building
>
> I will try it later.
>
> > 4. upgrade to that kernel on the laptop and test all functions.
>
> > A short cut answer might be possible if you obtain the USB vendor
> > id  and product id from the adapter. Then I can search the kernel
> > sources.
>
> USB adapter is USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8176.

0x0bda, 0x8176 is present [1] in the rtl8192cu driver, but this driver
is not enabled [2] in the OLPC OS kernel.  So rebuild kernel with
CONFIG_RTL8192CU set and normal function may occur.

1.  http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/tree/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/sw.c?h=arm-3.5#n273

2.  http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-kernel/tree/arch/arm/configs/xo_4_defconfig?h=arm-3.5#n1191

> I thought that a compatible hardware list on WIKI is welcome.

Yes, that would be nice.  But the problem is that the list is made out
of date within a few weeks when new devices are sold.  The same model
of USB device may use a different chip and driver next month.
Difficult task to track.  I'm glad you can volunteer.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/