[Server-devel] XSCE automatic login permission denied

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Aug 21 23:50:38 EDT 2013

XSCE is based on OLPC OS, and OLPC OS intentionally does not support
all USB WIFI adapters.  We removed from the kernel support for
adapters that we did not expect to be used, in order to reduce the
size of the kernel and OS installation.

So your question can be rephrased as "How do I add support for USB
WIFI adapters to OLPC OS?"

An answer is:

1.  determine if Fedora Linux supports the adapter, and if not work
with the Fedora community to get support added,

2.  if Fedora does support the adapter, determine the kernel
configuration change between the Fedora kernel and the OLPC OS kernel
that removed support,

3.  build a new OLPC OS kernel, with this configuration change reversed,
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Kernel_Building

4.  upgrade to that kernel on the laptop and test all functions.

A short cut answer might be possible if you obtain the USB vendor id
and product id from the adapter.  Then I can search the kernel
sources.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:34:07AM +0800, Gmail wrote:
> Holt,
>
>   I have 2 USB WIFI adapters, but there is no driver for them on XSCE.
>   Could you help me?
>   1. Is there a compatible USB WIFI adapter list?
>   2. Is there a guide on how to install the driver?
>
>   Thanks,
> --
>   Best regards,
> Lite
>
> On 2013年8月22日 at 上午11:17:05, Adam Holt (holt at laptop.org) wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> 0.4 might be a better idea at this stage.
>
> XSCE 0.4 RC1 is currently expected Friday if you can wait ~36hrs:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Road_Map
>
> Testing matrix is here for those who want to accelerate that :)
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Community_Edition/0.4/Testing/Results
>
> --
> Unsung Heroes of OLPC, interviewed live @ http://unleashkids.org !

James Cameron