[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 76, Issue 21

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 17 00:21:38 EDT 2013

On Sat, 2013-08-17 at 05:49 +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the disk capacity required by internet-in-a-box?

600-700 gigs

> The purpose of the server is to deliver the information not available
> from the internet.

Yup, or when your offline.

> The cost of a UPS which is required for a system on the grid is $80-100.

Think the issue is mainly about off-grid systems, those are usually 12v.
What would be neat is if there was a power supply that you could replace
in your standard PC that used 12v as the supply voltage. Anybody know of
a manufacture that supplies one? I'd hate to see what the size of the
battery pack and the recharging requirements needed of the
solar/wind/<insert others> recharging system that would be needed to run
such a beast.

> In my experience, there is need for one school server at a school
> supporting 30-200 XOs.

Know of any low power devices that you might recommend for off-grid use?

Jerry