[Server-devel] Questions for today

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Wed Aug 14 07:59:34 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 05:51:55PM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> > I like Sugar Network, because the problem of content sharing is
> > examined from a top down design perspective, including the constraint
> > that internet connectivity might not be available, or it may be
> > intermittent.
> >
> > On the other hand, the two School Server projects (XS and XSCE) seem
> > to be bottom up designs; here's a Linux server, now how can we use
> > it?
>
> After private mail, I retract this.  It was a false impression based
> on the Wiki pages for XS and XSCE, which emphasise technical
> specifications rather than the functional specifications or features.
>
> (e.g. XS_Features is split out to another page, not on School_server,
> and School_server begins heavily with "Linux-based" and "hardware
> recommendations".)
>
> (e.g. XS_Community_Edition explains more about the project team,
> communications methods, contributors, and history than it does about
> the features.)
>
> I suggest that the product and development content be split so this
> distinction is clearer.  If I got it so wrong, others may too.

I agree. Our challenge, and strength, is that most of the original people
involved in the project support deployments as our day jobs. We all have a
pretty good idea of what problems we want a school server to solve.

The question at the front of our minds was not "What should we do?" The
question was "How can we do it without killing each other?"

Now that the project has made good progress sorting out the community stuff
( internal communication, decision making, release management ) We will see
a shift towards external communication.

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

While painful, I found the recent threads extremely helpful. Talking (and
more) amongst ourselves about how the world didn't get us, did not seem to
be a particularly productive communication strategy for the XSCE
community:(

--
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/