[Server-devel] [XSCE] Re: Root fs on XO1

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 15:05:18 EDT 2013

Thanks everybody for your responses.

I learned a lot yesterday by trying things you all suggested.  James' idea
of using a XO1.5, and <devalias. . .,fs-update . . > to populate an SD card
was quick, and booted on a 1.5.  I tried copying the /boot directory of a
XO1 to this SD, and it appeared that the signed kernel was recognized,
loaded, but dracut issued a warning that root argument was empty.

So then I read up on dracut. My guess is that the drivers to read the SD
card were missing from the initramfs.

Then I started following James' suggestion, looking into olpc-os-builder.
 There's an sd_image option which can be enabled.  I could not determine if
enabling that would also enable booting from an external USB flash/hard
disk, but it seems worth a try. (I'm still toying with the idea of a WD
Passport -- external hard disk as the supported option for the XO1 XSCE).

I'm not yet clear whether it would be any simpler to insist that XO1's be
unlocked before installing XSCE. It's easy to modify the kernel command
line via "olpc.fth", (which I verified to be ignored on a locked XO) but
maybe getting the right drivers in the initramfs is the hard part.  I still
have lots more to learn.

George