[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 76, Issue 4

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 6 02:31:36 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 07:58:06AM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 05:39 AM, server-devel-request at lists.laptop.org wrote:
> >Tony, you have quoted me and misunderstand my use of the word
> >"unstable".  It means something that continues to change, that
> >develops, in response to user input in the form of enhancements and
> >bug fixes.  I would like to see continued change and development of
> >both XS and XSCE.  I don't see it happening at the moment; both
> >development streams appear stalled (there are no published plans to
> >release), but I would not be unhappy to see the streams restarted.
> >
> >"stable" software means it isn't going to change, isn't going to
> >develop in response to changing needs, and isn't going to be fixed.
>

> Sorry. I thought stable meant a production release - the one that
> deployments should use.
>
> In the sense you describe, there never has been a ongoing server
> development. It was put together by Martin Langhoff and updated to
> XS-0.7 by Daniel Drake. As far as I am aware, there is no Trac for
> problems with XS-0.7. There is also no feature request process.
>
> On the other hand, XSCE does have a development team and a planned
> release process (currently 0.3 with plans for 0.4 and 0.5).
>
> As Sameer has written, the primary concern is a perception that XSCE
> is a successor to XS-0.7. It is an alternative designed to meet
> certain specific hardware and deployment needs. XSCE is also not a
> fork of XS in the normal use of that term in software development.
> XS is an open source project (primarily consisting of packaging and
> configuring CentOS, Moodle, and so on) so ownership by OLPC is not
> an issue.

Thanks!  I wasn't even aware that OLPC wasn't promoting XSCE until I
got _told_ today.  Now that I know, I've adjusted

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server

to more clearly delineate the Community Edition project from the OLPC
XS project.

I think the rest of the page deserves more tidying, but there's so
much I don't know.  It doesn't look good for the community of which I
am a part to be so sloppy in Wiki edits, for which I apologise.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/