[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 76, Issue 3

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Mon Aug 5 21:34:29 EDT 2013

Hi,

I think there is a real misunderstanding of the school server software.

Daniel Drake updated XS-0.6 to a CentOS 6.2 base because the Fedora base
was obsolete. There is no need for continued development of XS at this
time, it is functional and stable.

XSCE appears to be a substantially different development aimed, at
several objectives:
     enable XO hardware to act as the school server
     support the ARM platform
     provide gui support for basic system administration
     modularize server functions so that deployments can pick and choose
which capabilities to include.

I don't think we need or want an unstable XS. The existence of CentOS
points to the difference between server and client software development
models.

Tony