[Server-devel] usbmount alternatives

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 26 12:22:06 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 08:23 -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
> > The Community XS is being mounted on Fedora. Adam reports the Fedora does
> > not support usbmount.
>
> I'd be interested in confirming that usbmount is now unusable and
> unfixable on Fedora, if that is what is being suggested. Can anyone
> provide technical details?

With the move to per-seat mounting of devices at
"/run/media/<user>/<device>" I would thought that usbmount's
20-umount.rules would override that behaviour but does not. This would
be a welcome addition in Fedora proper as lots of people are having
issues with the revised layout/behaviour of removable media.

Think the issue might be that a list (sda sda1) of character files is
passed by udev but usbmount doesn't test if it's a block device before
trying to mount, then failing and bailing if the first device in the
list doesn't mount.

Your welcome to test the rpm on F17[1], don't think the packaging is
messed up, was a straight recompile of the srpm but would welcome your
input.

just my thoughts,

Jerry

1. http://georgejhunt.com/olpc/files/myrepo/noarch/