[Server-devel] xs-pkgs

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Fri Mar 30 12:05:29 EDT 2012

In our local case, the deployment purchased a supposedly RHEL-compliant
server which lacked a Linux driver for its built-in RAID controller.

This RAID controller created disk partitions which spanned the full size of
each disk drive.  These partitions appeared when the lower-level disk
controller(s) were accessed directly after the RAID controller was turned
off, and caused anaconda to die whenever it tried to figure out a
partitioning scheme with already-full disks.

Fdisk was used to delete these partitions from a Linux terminal console,
and then anaconda was happy.

The inverse situation also needs to be watched out for: If you are using a
Linux-supported hardware RAID controller, the individual disks/controllers
below it may still be accessible, and installing directly on those could
make the RAID controller unhappy.