[Server-devel] ARM on XS -- how can I integrate my work?

rihoward1 at gmail.com rihoward1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 11:41:46 EDT 2012

On Jun 28, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:11 AM, rihoward1 at gmail.com
> <rihoward1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> That kind of approach would suggest supporting both CentOS and F17+.
>>> I'm not sure if thats the direction we'd want to go - supporting 2
>>> platforms has its costs. It might be preferred to do a full migration
>>> to F17. You'll need clarification from this from Martin, who's away
>>> until next month.
>>
>> There is no CentOS for ARM.  It is not even on the horizon yet. On the other
>> hand rpmfusion has recently expressed interest in building for the 2 ARM
>> archs supported by Fedora.
>
> There's no CentOS for ARM because there is no EL for ARM, there's is a
> project attempting to achieve a EL6 clone but IMO it's a waste of time
> as it can only support armv5tel because the compiler and tool chain in
> EL6 doesn't even know hardfp exists.
>
> rpmfusion was planning on adding ARM support when they move to koji
> from their previous (current?) build platform. Not sure of the current
> status of that.
>
>> I have been targeting F17 for ARM with an eye to F18 for ARM which may
>> make the cut to become a primary architecture.
>
> It's unlikely at this point in time that ARM will become primary arch
> in the F-18 timeframe simply due to one of the big blockers is decent
> build hardware and while it should be available "soon" it's not going
> to be enough time to deal with that. At this point in time F-19 is
> much more likely.
>
> Ultimately any packages or changes needed for XS whether it's aimed at
> CentOS/EPEL or Fedora whether it be on x86 or ARM should aim to
> getting the changes into mainline Fedora which means if it's in
> mainline it will be build on ARM whether ARM is primary or secondary
> arch. It generally makes the maintenance of the packages easier and
> more straight forward especially if it's a change/enhancement to
> existing packages as the changes evolve when the main package evolves.
That has been my goal...to promote that idea.  One question is should olpc-bios
be upstreamed? I am investigating a different approach to what has been taken
ejabbered in the past with regard to patching and building a completely different
one for the XS to provide needed behavior.  It involves learning a "little" erlang.