[Server-devel] failed to register

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 4 20:44:53 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-04 at 20:04 -0400, Holt wrote:
> On 6/4/2012 7:32 PM, John Watlington wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 2012, at 7:30 PM, John Watlington wrote:
> >
> >> Adam, something is wrong with those addresses.
> >> The 18.nn.nn.nn subnet is owned by MIT.   You shouldn't be
> >> using any of them.    Perhaps you meant 172.18.nn.nn ?
>
> Wad's exactly right -- I spent too many years at MIT and so typed 18.*
> without thinking.  The correct IPs for the XS (no idea why there are 2)
> are in fact:
>      172.18.0.1  (pingable, ssh, etc)
>      172.18.196.1  (schoolserver?)

Still don't think that is right, mine is using 172.18.96.1, what's in
the ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 filea in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/?

> I remain very concerned that 172.18.196.1 is not pingable from the
> XO-1.5s, even when this IP's names {schoolserver,
> schoolserver.providence.uwimona.edu.jm} are pingable, responding with
> 172.18.196.1

Have a look in the /var/run/named-xs/school.internal.zone.db file think
there might be an error there, but mine has 172.18.96.1.

What is in /etc/dhcpd-xs-conf?

> There is no server set in My Settings > Network > Server on any of the
> XO-1.5s
>
> Hopefully Sameer who helped with the original XS networking config 2
> months ago can respond to Wad's WAN/LAN request below??

DSD, any way to quickly restore the stock settings?

Jerry