[Server-devel] openVPN on the XS

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Tue Jan 31 20:03:04 EST 2012

Hello Serverheads!

We've been using openVPN on the XS in India
(http://bhagmalpur.wordpress.com) and Jamaica
(http://olpcjamaica.org.jm). OpenVPN runs in client mode on the XS and
phones home to public IP server. We have a couple of laptops with
appropriate keys that also run in the client mode. openVPN runs on the
server in server mode. This setup allows us to ssh into the XS from
the two client laptops whenever the servers get online via DSL or
GPRS/3G. openVPN takes care of the whole NAT business nicely.

I know that George Hunt was trying to do this in Haiti. Not sure how
far he got. We also got a suggestion to look into IPv6 tunnels
(http://www.sixxs.net/tools/ayiya/).

1) Is anyone else using something like this or similar?
2) Is there a different approach to doing the same?

I can put up the instructions on the wiki in a bit.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.