[Server-devel] Who wrote http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Install_Server?

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 30 14:05:00 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 12:40 -0500, George Hunt wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm new to this list.

Hi George:

I'm the author of the XSAU-F11 based rework of the XS that Sridhar is
referring to.

> I met Tony Anderson in Haiti, and again at the San Francisco OLPC
> Summit in late 2011. He prevailed upon me to spend some time trying to
> figure out how to rebase XS on a more recent Fedora Core.
>
> I just recently used pungi to gather together FC16 rpms into an iso
> using the kickstart file that came with XS-0.6.  What was 550MB in FC9
> has grown to 775MB in FC16.  My initial goal was to create a CD image,
> that can be installed in the traditional way. But going forward, even
> if we can pare things down and fit in 690MB this time, perhaps we need
> a better strategy.

Think some of the issue is most likely that X is being dragged in or
some extra files on the image. What is the file layout of the resulting
iso image?

> I came across comments in the XS wiki  to the effect that USB installs
> don't always work, suggesting that a CD installation was more
> reliable.

Think that was in the F9 era, I have usb-based installs working with a
patched F11 anaconda. There needs to be some time allowed to let the usb
subsystem become available before looking for the kickstart file.

> Then I discovered this page (which I had missed before) which
> displayed a level of knowledge, and perspective, which I would like to
> tap.
>
> Can anyone own up to being the author, or point to him/her?
>
> I'd like to start a conversation.

Chat away,

Jerry