[Server-devel] A quick networking question

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Wed Feb 29 16:48:35 EST 2012

On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:

> The example DHCP configuration linked likely should be updated to support multiple MAC address ranges.
>
> In addition to the 00:17:C4 prefix mentioned in that script, newer XOs may come with Wifi cards that have a 20:7C:8F prefix, and I'm looking at an XO that has a 68:A3:C4 prefix.

The days of simple MAC filtering are probably over.    As Samuel points out,
there are at least two sources of WLAN modules for XO-1.5/1.75 laptops, and
more might be introduced in the future.

There are well established protocols and services for authenticating access to a
network (802.1x).   Supposedly wpa_supplicant already supports some of them ?
It is time to start using one of them.

Cheers,
wad