[Server-devel] initial notes on 0.7

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Feb 13 10:32:27 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Step 5: Boot server machine from USB stick using: default option
>            In the "from" option (hard drive, CD/DVD, NFS etc.) pick:
> hard drive
>            Which disk contains install medium: usually /dev/sda1
>            Once installation is done, reboot server.
>
> Step 6: eth0 isn't up by default.
> # ifconfig eth0 up
>
> Step 7: Get a DHCP lease
> # dhclient eth0
>
> Step 8: wget isn't in minimal install
> # yum install wget
>
> Step 9: Add EPEL repository.
>
> # wget epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm
> # yum localinstall epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm

You can use curl (included), or just: rpm -ivh
http://whatever/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm

> Step 12: Use chkconfig to make sure eth0 comes back on reboot
> # chkconfig

No need to do this - xs-setup-network will "take over" your network
configuration.

> Step 15:
>
> Add a USB-to-Ethernet dongle and plug into WAN
> Must run xs-setup-network and then reboot because we added a USB
> ethernet dongle (WAN connected) and now XOs have internet access, but
> no name resolution!

There was no need to run xs-setup-network again, you could have just
added the WAN connection and rebooted. But no harm in doing so.

> Step 15b (optional):
>
> Had to add forwarders section to /etc/named-xs.conf.in
> Add the following line between the "options" opening '{' and closing '}':
> forwarders {<dns-server1>; <dns-server2>; ..};
> # xs-setup-network
> Reboot.

The fact that you had no DNS without this rings a bell - am I right in
saying you had the same problem on XS-0.6 on your network without
adding a forwarders entry?

> Problem: XS seems to cause XOv1 computers to repeatedly restart X
> (brief text messages say something about dcon freeze?)
> Happening to both XO-1 and XO-1.5 running build 883. XO 1.5 HS with
> build 852 was unaffected.

Can you run olpc-log on one of these systems after the crash happens
,and send the output?

Thanks for the detailed testing!
Daniel