[Server-devel] XS on Ubuntu - what is the status?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 05:08:03 EST 2012

Hi Adam,

with the cleanup and reorganization work that's being done for xs-0.7, it
is now a lot more reasonable to say that the XS software and configuration
could be ported/packaged to Debian/Ubuntu.

There is of course work to do on that track -- some of the most trivial
packages may just install using alien, but there are packages that you'll
definitely want packaged natively, accounting for the specifics of the
Debian world. And parts of xs-config will need to have an alternative
Debian implementation.

It's not a huge amount of work.

If you look up in our archive, I haven't been very positive in the past
about a debian or ubuntu version, beause before this reorganization it
would have meant a significant fork and a distraction.

So maybe now's the time for it :-) -- OLPC won't work on it directly, but
we can sure help debianistas/ubunteros...