[Server-devel] CentOS hardware support doubts

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Fri Feb 3 09:38:49 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> I've now seen 3 failure cases - the AR8152 mentioned above, and
> another case which I only had time to do a quick boot check of
> F9/C6/F16 (F16 was the only one that recognised the onboard NIC of the
> asrock motherboard).
>
> Yesterday we received 10 servers based on an Intel motherboard (and 12
> more will be coming next week). F9 doesn't recognise the onboard NIC.
> C6 recognises the onboard NIC but isn't able to send/receive packets.
> F16 works fine (using e1000e driver). As these boards only have 1 PCI
> socket it is not possible to have 2 NICs (unless we resort to USB...)
> unless we move beyond C6.

It's worth noting that if you have to, there are NIC cards available with
more than one port per PCI slot.  They just tend to be rarer and as
"server-grade" hardware, more expensive.

Coming from a networking/ODM background, I have worked with plenty of 2-8
port e1000 NIC cards, and even 8-port tulip adapters.  Just make sure that
the PCI-E/X/etc. slot you are using has enough lanes to fit the NIC card in
the slot, and for the load a schoolserver generates you should be fine.

Historically I have seen e1000's and Broadcom Gigabit adapters in
server-grade hardware.  But given I have been out of the industry for a few
years, I don't know what companies are using nowadays.