[Server-devel] Running complete Wikipedia offline

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Dec 12 16:28:28 EST 2012

I've been debating the possibility of running a *complete* copy of
Wikipedia (txt and images) offline on the XS. At this point, the
targets are English (https://en.wikipedia.org) and Hindi
(https://hi.wikipedia.org).

The demand on the local server wouldn't be huge, given the relatively
small footprint at the school. Storage is cheap. This would be an
offline copy for one-way consumption, so I'm not looking for ways to
do local edits, and push these back upstream. I'd imagine the
Wikipedia dumps can be rsync'd once every x months over sneakernet.
Dump data is here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_dumps

Has anyone thought of this or tackled it in any way? Would love some discussion.

cheers,
Sameer
--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.