[Server-devel] antitheft:: avoiding the need - cont. 2

jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org
Sun Aug 26 17:49:38 EDT 2012

p.s. One anti-theft thing that I forgot to mention in my previous list
serve response was that we label and ENGRAVE all the laptops with big bold
numbers and codes in various locations on the laptops so anyone can tell
exactly who they belong to.  It’s pretty obvious they are from a school or
organization, not individually owned.

Through public outreach, contact with the local police, and local
word-of-mouth, most everyone in the region knows about our project.  So
anyone seen with one of these laptops who isn’t a student or teacher at
one of our schools would be reported to the authorities.

Even communities with schools that don’t have computers want to cooperate
and "stay on our good side" because they know we are gradually expanding
to other schools in the area.   We find that if we give them incentive to
cooperate and keep them invested, they’ll bend over backwards to help.

Janissa Balcomb
Laptops to Lesotho Inc.
www.laptopstolesotho.org