[Server-devel] Networking issue with XS 0.7 on EPC-AT270

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 05:28:28 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 09:57 +1000, David Leeming wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I am training some teachers in PNG to set up school servers. We are
>> using the EPC-AT270 (brochure attached, specs on page 7) and
>> previously have installed X_-v0.6 with no problems at all.
>>

>> This time I am trying XS-0.7 but we have a networking issue. It does
>> not configure either of the two Ethernet ports.
>>

>> The EPC-AT270 has two Ethernet ports.
>>

>> The installation is completely default as per the wiki 0.7
>> installation guide, from CD, starting with an unformatted HDD. No
>> errors are displayed on the screen during installation (but there is
>> some scrolling of data).
>>

>> After installing, the first symptom is that when plugging in a
>> computer or AP to either eth0 or eth1, the port LEDs do not light up
>> and no network is seen by the connecting device.
>>

>> When querying ifconfig –a I can see eth0 and eth1 but they have no IP
>> configuration.
>>

>> Any next steps? Meanwhile we are reverting to 0.6 which is OK on the
>> EPC
>
> To late to run mii-tool now, or check which kernel modules were loaded.
> Or check if HWADDR was set in ifcfg-eth0|1 while having 2 nics with the
> same kernel module: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11678

mii-tool is mostly (should be completely) obsolete. You should use
ethtool for this functionality as it will work with all detected NICs.
"dmesg | grep eth" will let you know what the kernel sees.

The Marvell ethernet ports might not be well supported on CentOS 6.
You might want to check if a newer CentOS kernel adds support.
Alternatively you can likely use a Fedora kernel. dsd did that when he
had issues with NIC support on one of the deployments he was involved
with. I suggest checking the mailing list archives for the details.

Regards,
Peter