[Server-devel] Looking for new low power server hardware candidate

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:39:20 EDT 2012

Thanks for your notes.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> Ideally, I think we'd want to have the servers be auto-detected on the
> network and available to select by the XO. Ideas to implement this
> include making them show in the Neighbourhood View and a selector in
> the Network CP applet.

Significant programming investment there...

>>> Then the children just set a collaboration server to connect to in the
>>> Network CP applet. They use the address of the appliance for their
>>> classroom. This achieves a segregation effect in a simple way.
>>
>> How do kids know what domain name to put in there? Isn't it a complex
>> and error-prone step?
>
> Typing an IP address into the client is far less complicated than
> setting up and maintaining an XS server.

But you have some economies of scale :-) do once per school vs do it
on every machine in the school.

The school XS can be shipped preconfigured, sidestepping the "local
configuration" barrier.

Thanks for those answers, they clarify a few things for me. I'm with
you on the "show an XS icon in the network neighbourhood" part, but I
don't see the "configure XMPP server on _every_ XO" as a good
tradeoff, if I can prep an XS once (maybe in a central location).

It's relatively easy to prep an XS + switch + APs + cat 5 cabling,
label all the RJ-45 connectors, and ship it all in a big box. The
hardest part is guessing the cat 5 lengths right ;-) -- much better to
ship a crimping tool, cable, RJ-45s.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com