[Server-devel] Lesotho project network server: obstacles & needs

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Mon Apr 16 17:12:09 EDT 2012

On 17 April 2012 06:56, David Leeming <david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> Hi Janissa
>
> Your programme sounds very worthwhile and I wish you all the best with it!
>
> Maybe I was not clear, but my point is that for us, the XS (we are using
> v0.6) installed on a low power e-box such as the EPC-AT270 (I can send you
> the spec sheet, it is available in Australia not sure where you are) has
> proven exactly what you seem to be looking for. Very low power, running at
> 15W or less on 12V DC solar power, with auto-power on enabled so even if
> there is a power outage the locals don't need to intervene. At one site it
> ran 187 months continuously and no problems. The access points all using DC
> power via PoE too.

The approach that we have taken in Australia is to only introduce
technology that can be installed and maintained by a non-technical
user. Only that will give you proper sustainability.

The XS is far too complicated, so we don't use it. We are
investigating options to create a plug-and-play appliance version.

> Our schools in PNG only theoretically have Internet access in some locations
> as the quality of service is insufficient. Even if it were, it's only for
> the teachers due to cost. But the teachers do have some limited options with
> 3G dongles if they wish to sign up to the OLPC-Australia XO-Certification
> programme (extended to Pacific) laptop.moodle.com.au and so we spent time
> training them to do so.

The One Education programme is explained at http://www.one-education.org/

You can fill in the form at the bottom of that page if you want to know more.

Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia