[Server-devel] [OLPC School Server] Comment: "First Learnings about ARM"

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:49:23 EDT 2012

 I need some pointers.

My target machine is a Dreamplug.

In the Fedora 17 arm distro, there are separate releases for ARMv5 and
ARMv7.  I have been playing with the ARMv5 download which includes kernels
for tegra, imx, omap, and armv5tel (the latter is what I have been using).
I created a FAT16 partition on an sd card, used uboot's mkimage to package
the kernal for uboot to load. I can execute  the uboot command: "usb start;
fatload usb 1 0x6400000 /boot/uImage"

But when I load the uImage to memory at 0x6400000, and bootm 0x6400000 (how
do I know that that's the correct load address -- I copied the trimslice
directions), I get no response.  When I do the same with a kernel supplied
by compulab for the dreamplug, it seems to function properly, ie. it boots
to the point where it is looking for the rootfs (it gets further in the
boot process).

Is there any documentation on how to proceed in FC17 with the supplied
kernels? Maybe I should just cross compile to get to a uImage?

George