[Server-devel] Looking for new low power server hardware candidate

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 05:24:32 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM, rihoward1 at gmail.com
<rihoward1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:03 AM, George Hunt <georgejhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I left my fitpc2 and msi servers in the Philippines, hoping they would be
>>> pressed into service in a classroom situation.  So now I'm in the market for
>>> another toy.
>>
>> If you have time towork with us through some hitches, I'd recommend an
>> ARM server. At this stage I'd say one of the Marvell/Globalscale
>> "Plug" servers (dreamplug for example), or a trimslice.
>>
>> Either option will need a combination of the OS on internal SD/eMMC
>> and the storage on an ext HDD (via USB probably).
>
> The Kirkwood based systems such plug computers can boot both the kernel and OS from a hard
> drive. I have been talking with one of he Fedora ARM team about this and am going
> to send them an email about what is involved and some other things about the kirkwood based devices.

I'm one of the Fedora ARM people so feel free to ask here, there's a
lot of work going on to simplify the process of creating images, there
should be some more stuff coming soon for creation of images. I would
suggest looking at ARMv7 devices as they tend to have more CPU power
and memory which would be better for the server stuff. Personally I
think the Trimslice H is going to one of the best models as you can
put a decent HDD in there and have a self contained unit, although I
would love a dual eth option.

Peter

[1] http://trimslice.com/web/models