[Server-devel] Server-devel Digest, Vol 54, Issue 2

jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org
Sat Oct 8 13:26:55 EDT 2011

LESOTHO LAN NETWORK SET-UP, INTERNET ACCESS
This is a very timely thread for me.  Next month, I will be trying to set
up a similar LAN system at a remote school in the mountains of Lesotho,
Africa, where we have a Windows XP desktop computer and 90 XO-1 laptops.
We have a wireless router for the PC.

Currently, we do not have internet access at the school, so we are unable
to download software directly. When I was there last, we tried to load the
XS software onto the PC from a USB drive, but it didn't work.  This time,
I am taking the XS software on a CD and will try again.  Any advise for a
newbie who doesn't speak computer-geek?

I am also taking the latest stable OS on a flash drive.  We will reflash
all the XOs so they have the gnome internet sharing software.

We can access the internet via cell phone at the school, but when we tried
to use a GSM modem (unlocked Vodaphone compatible) with the PC, it didn't
work.  Vodacom Lesotho (the only ISP in the country) said that it won't
work because there is no internet signal there.  Can someone explain this
apparent paradox to me?  Can gnome access the internet via a cell phone
signal?  Is there a website with instructions how to do this?

Thanks,
Janissa Balcomb
jbalcomb at laptopstolesotho.org
Laptops to Lesotho Inc.