[Server-devel] XS wishlist

Abhishek Singh abhishek.singh at olenepal.org
Fri May 27 14:08:07 EDT 2011

On 05/27/2011 10:15 PM, Sameer Verma wrote:
> Came across this via Twitter: http://asingh.com.np/blog/olpc-xs-my-wishlist/
>
> Here is a copy and paste for archival purposes:
>
> Sameer
>
> ---------------------------
> elow is a list of changes that I wish to have in the OLPC XS (some of
> which comes from our own list of customization):
>
> Porting XS to new version of Fedora
> Fedora Project has come to the release of version 15 of their Linux
> distribution host a lot of interesting features, but OLPC XS is still
> stuck with Fedora 9 (which itself has moved to “End of Life”). This
> state hinders us from using more stable software components, access to
> bug-fixes, and improved infrastructure. This also forces packagers to
> package software for Fedora 9. Porting XS to Fedora 15 will bring into
> all the awesomeness, but again it will be a lot of work porting the
> patches and packages (developed by OLPC community) to Fedora 15.
>
> Support for multiple architecture
> Though XS is targeted to be run on generic low-end servers (mostly
> i386 architecture), but the recent trend of hardware price fall,
> deployers will tend to use more advanced hardware (which might support
> x86_64 architecture). Current XS effort is targeted at i386 (32 bit)
> builds, but adding x86_64 (64 bit) builds would not be that
> cumbersome, and would definitely attract deployers eyeing 64bit
> hardware.
>
> Basic Self Tests
> It would be great to have basic self tests embedded into the XS, which
> will help the school side to diagnose and fix the problem easily.
> Individuals at the school looking after the school server might not be
> proficient with GNU/Linux and would have a hard time to diagnose and
> fix a problem with XS; this is a case with the Nepalese deployments.
> Adding to this, for a fix, either the support team needs to be
> dispatched to the school (which might be located in a remote place),
> or the ask the school to bring back the school server to the support
> centre. Given the scenario in Nepal, with just a single support
> centre, this fix can cost a lot of time, effort, and money. Basic self
> tests, with mechanism to provide instructions on now to fix simple
> problems is greatly going to ease the hassle. The self tests can
> contain testing services, network status and such.
>
> Inclusion of new packages
> systemd: a replacement for SysVinit and Upstart that acts as a system
> and session manager.
> usb-modeswitch: a library/utility for handling Mode-Switching USB
> Devices on Linux. This package is required to access internet through
> 3G cards (e.g. Mobile broadband).
> ipcheck: a Dyndns.org client to register your dynamic IP address. It
> helps to configure the server with dynamic dns and with port
> forwarding enabled on the Internet gateway, eases accessing the
> schoolserver from anywhere on the Internet.
> MySQL: a relational database server, and a de-facto backend for many
> [...]
Thanks Sameer for posting, I was just about to post this to the mailing
list. This wishlist contains some of the items that we are already doing
at OLE Nepal, and some which we would like to have integrated into OLPC
XS. I hope the recommended changes would benefit the whole community.

--
Abhishek Singh
System Engineer