[Server-devel] [IAEP] copy files to/from server

Anna aschoolf at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:01:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Martin Abente <
martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to explain a little better this all fits into the "cloud journal"
> Idea which in the very first version should basically work as a cloud
> storage device (which should be placed in the XS IMHO). This will fix
> MANY problems we encountered in the field regarding the limited
> storage space, backups and virtual dogs eating homework.
>
> I still didn't make up my mind about which technical approach should I
> take in order to get this working, but I guess people already started
> sharing some ideas. And I would appreciate more ideas and discussion
> before I get to that point.
>
> The very basic requirement is: each children must have its private
> "cloud volume", where they can drop their files in the same way they
> interact with physical external storage devices.
>
> On top of that we can do a lot of things that might be very useful for
> teachers daily in the classrooms.
>
> Before I start working on this, ill add multi-selection capabilities
> to the journal so we can easily drop files from the local journal to
> the "cloud" one. The implementation of the multi-selection feature may
> or not follow the design we proposed on eduJAM's code sprint [1].
>
> Questions? Ideas? Code? :)
>
> 1. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Journal_NewUI#Mockups

As an external service, Dropbox is not appropriate for a deployment, but I
messed around several months ago with integrating the Journal with Dropbox.
Since the setup is fairly complicated, I never suggested implementing it
here.

Because of the way Sugar indexes files, I used a USB drive so that Dropbox
would show file names and extensions.  From the user's perspective, all they
have to do is drop files onto a USB drive and everything else is automatic.

Anyway, it's "proof of concept" of cloud storage with the Journal.  And of
course, Dropbox is a bad idea unless you're talking about just a few users.
There are FOSS alternatives out there that can live on the XS.

Here's my writeup:
http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4892.0

Anna Schoolfield
Birmingham