[Server-devel] Help buying server for XS

Omar Andrés Zapata Mesa andresete.chaos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 17:23:32 EDT 2011

Hi everyone.

We, the computer science division of the high energy physics group(link),
are in charge of the development of the OLPC project in Itagüí, Antioquia in
Colombia.
Right now 17000 XOs had been bought but only 5000 are going to arrive soon
for testing pourposes.
Our jobs in the project are basically to implement the technical aspect of
the OLPC project in Itagüí and make research and development in IT for XO
and servers OS.

Reuben:
We are aware of your visit through a meeting that we held with Alejandro
Caro, the subsecretary of educational quality of Itagüí.
UNE(an energy and telecominications company) has set up the networking
structure for each school according to OLPC's criteria stablished during
your visit.
That is where a question arise: they have used 2 Dlink AP3200 for a
population of approximatelly 1000 children per school... we think that's not
appropiate, what do you think?

About the site surveys... we're not at that point yet, we're just planning
how to do everything right. Our only drawback is that UNE has done some
things and we don't know how suitable they are.
So, we're going to be in contact frequently trying to solve any issue with
your help.
What software do you recommend for the heat maps?

We're planning to implement also a CRM system for a contact center and
inventory, and we've found sugarcrm a good free software option... what do
you think? or do you recommend another software?

Thanks to everyone for your help.