[Server-devel] Hidden SSID and Proxy settings

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 3 22:55:26 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 14:47 +1100, James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 10:38:07PM -0500, Dr. Gerald Ardito wrote:
> > Both methods work within a session.
> > In GNOME, I can connect to the hidden network. And, if I change back
> > to Sugar, the connection is intact.
>
> Yes.  NetworkManager still has knowledge of the hidden network
> connection request in memory, having been told about it by the GNOME
> nm-applet.
>
> (Restarting NetworkManager at this point causes the connection to drop
> and not be re-established.)

Well sort of, if you restart MN in a terminal in GNOME, the connection
is re-established, switch over to sugar the AP icon has the ESSID
populated. This works if "Available to all users" was ticked as NM sees
this as a system connection under root's control. Now open terminal in
SUGAR and restart NM, now the ESSID is set to "None". While un-ticked
you will be prompted for the info, which is saved in connections.cfg.
The difference might be that in GNOME you have gnome-keyring running
while in SUGAR it's not. There is the question of who owns the
connection while setup as an ifcfg file, root or olpc?

> > When I reboot, however, while the Wireless Connections UI (iin either
> > GNOME or Sugar using nm) shows the connection properly, it does not
> > actually connect to the hidden ssid.
>
> Yes, I agree.  After reboot, NetworkManager is restarted, and therefore
> no longer knows about the hidden network connection request.

Agreed, I'll look for how "Connect to Hidden Wireless network" runs its
re-scan for the hidden network in the code.

> The ONBOOT setting doesn't appear to work either.

On an un-hidden network it does, or at least loaded as the UI becomes
usable.

Gerald, does your AP have any security or is it just hidden?

Jerry