[Server-devel] [Dextrose] Regarding my OLPC XS Wishlist

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jun 2 21:30:56 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 11:57 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Aleksey Lim
> <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
> >> Have you spent any time learning how to configure ejabberd? Diagnosing
> >> your problem? Discussing it on the ejabberd mailing list?
> >
> > Well, I assume OLPC people did it many times before me, I just reused their
> > experience tryinhg to follow wiki.l.o docs and using native packages from
> > fedora.
>
> Yes -- everytime we saw a perf problem we diagnosed. Right now we
> don't see performance problems when load testing the XS.

What's the exact binary package of ejabberd and configuration that works
well? How many users has it been tested with?

I've had similar an experience similar to Aleksey with all versions of
the ejabberd I tried, and so did the Collabora people I spoke with. I
tried tweaking the configuration a bit, but the impression I got is that
ejabberd is over-engineered for our needs (only 1 server, about 1000
users).

> If you see perf problems in your specific setup, I can only suggest
> you diagnose -- perhaps with the help from the ejabberd developers via
> their mailing list.

Thanks. Send me your public ssh key, I'll give you access to the machine
hosting jabber.sugarlabs.org. If you make it work, I'll buy you a green
beer at EduJam 2012 :-)

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team