[Server-devel] [OLPC-AU] e: Regarding my OLPC XS Wishlist (Abhishek Singh)

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Jun 9 23:27:24 EDT 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 7:51 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 10 June 2011 00:49, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at activitycentral.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:24:45AM +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>>> So far I have counted at least six school server types:
>>>
>>>   * OLPC XS
>>>   * XS-AU (Australia)
>>>   * NEXS (Nepal)
>>>   * Paraguay Educa server
>>>   * Plan Ceibal server (Uruguay)
>>
>>>   * Sugar Server (Activity Central)
>> One but critical change, it is:
>>    * Sugar Server project (Sugar Labs)
>>    * Dextrose Server, Sugar Server based, product (Activity Central)
>> (I'm composing an announce for Sugar Server launch)
>
> Okay, now I'm really confused :S
>
> That makes seven school server types. I'm not convinced why there
> should be more than one or two. I'm happy to co-operate with others to
> make this happen, provided that our deployment needs are met.

I think of the school server as a collection of services.  It is natural that
individual countries will package different sets of services, and base it
on Linux distributions and upgrade mechanisms that they are used to.
We should concentrate on the commonalities, and identifying best practices
for management of large scale deployments with different levels of
connectivity.

Glad to see the ecosystem enlarging, it has come a long way in four
years (when Plan Ceibal was forced to develop their own due to OLPC's
lateness in realizing the need for a school server).

Cheers,
wad