[Server-devel] Regarding my OLPC XS Wishlist

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Sun Jun 5 11:57:30 EDT 2011

Hi,

I hope we can keep Abhisek in the loop as he has detailed information on
the XS version deployed in Nepal. The procedure there is to build XS and
release it as an img. The image is loaded to a usb drive
(mkusbinstall.sh). This key is used to install all of the deployed
school servers.  I have attached the instructions for installing NEXS
from the olenepal redmine (slightly edited).

I am very internet-challenged (at this campground I arrived on Thursday
and used the internet for about two hours and then it died - now on
Sunday evening it is working intermittently!), so I think some of my
previous comments have not been received. So please be patient if you
have read this before:

I think the separation of the server into two components XS and XC is
very valuable. The XC build should provide a working schoolserver which
can be accessed via the LAN from an XO using ssh. With the XS-Au fix for
the 'race' condition in kickstart, it should be possible to do this
install 'headless' on a server which supports booting from the usb drive
when present (and bootable).

XC provides the content for the /library partition. However, with Daniel
Drake's usbmount scripts XC could be used to install any optional
packages such as Dan's Guardian, Moodle (forgive me, Martin), Fedora
Commons, Fez, mediawiki, and so on.

The netsetup.sh script should be used to configure the WAN network and
should not be needed when the school server is not connected to an
external network (the LAN network is configured the same in every school
as 172.18.0.1). The LAN should be configured for the baseboard (RJ45)
port and the WAN for a secondary port (e.g. usb-ethernet).

Essentially this is the procedure used in Nepal with considerable
success over the past two years (success measured by the schoolserver
very rarely being a problem requiring service (UPS failures seem far
more frequent).

Tony

P.S.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLE_Nepal:Procedure_to_build_NEXS_from_OLPC_XS
gives a description of the build procedure used for XS-0.4. It provides
details on the installation of the extra packages as of that time.
Abhishek Singh can provide more recent details.