[Server-devel] Revisiting @online@ patch

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 18:13:50 EST 2011

Hi list, hi Badlop!

In the process of building a new version of OLPC's School Server, I am
trying to solve the last patch we have that isn't in your tree.
(Thanks for all your help getting earlier patches merged! Also, happy
that you liked them :-) )

The patch implements @online@ -- and in the past it has been discussed
and rejected or delayed because it didn't implement @recent@ or
@nearby@ correctly. This was discussed back in

  http://lists.jabber.ru/pipermail/ejabberd/2009-April/004901.html

In this updated version of the patch I have *dropped* @recent@ and
@nearby@ components, so we only have the part of the patch that...
_works_ and is actually used. I am testing this patch at the moment,
but I generally expect to confirm it works as expected in a few days.

Background:  OLPC makes extensive use of @online@ for small and
autoconfigured school servers. Anything larger than ~100 users, it
only makes sense to actually organize users in groups (as per their
classrooms) -- we do this via Moodle, which then manages SRGs calling
ejabberdctl calls.

In practice, we have found that those two modes (@online@ and managed
SRGs) fully cover our use cases. We don't use, and we don't think we
need @recent@ or @nearby at . Those parts of the earlier patches have
unfortunately never worked.

Review? Merge? Scream?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com